Monday 11 April 2016

Tootsie Pattern

Following on from a previous post on Dodo feet, I went through the process of carving the feet using an electric turkey carving knife and scissors, sticking the pieces together as I went using hot glue. The process is pleasantly fast when using simple paper templates to make things roughly symmetrical, and produces a foot which is light, durable and flexible.



After some final smoothing of the foam sculpting and adding some side panels into the feet, I covered them with masking tape in order to obtain an accurate pattern for cutting the fabric for the feet. Before cutting off the pieces, I marked my plans for where I would put the seams, the direction the light pile should face, where the toenails will later be attached, and where I want to add wrinkles into the design.





As the pieces of pattern tape are removed, they are laid flat on the pattern paper, sticking to it, so seam allowance can be added and then they are cut out. In some pieces that are from particularly rounded areas, dart cuts are made into the pattern in order for it to lay flat. As you can see below I also cut the toe patterns around the areas I wanted to add wrinkles, adding in an extra inch of fabric in the pattern so that when it is being sewn up and stuck onto the foot, it can be wrinkled successfully instead of just smoothly pulled over the top. 


No comments:

Post a Comment