Thursday 3 March 2016

Sculpture, Day Two

Upon putting the two sides of the sculpture together, it became very clear that I needed to sculpt the head as a whole to get a good impression of the dimensions and shapes of the head. I cut out two polystyrene cradles on the bandsaw to hold sections of the sculpt steady, and used two large clips to keep the top sides of the MDF plates together.



As you can see, the head is far, far too narrow at the top and the eyes are too far around the sides of the head. It wasn't very possible to tell this from the two sides lying flat on the table, so I'm glad I put the pieces together before I'd gone any further in the sculpting process.



As you can see below, I have repositioned the eyes to better match my concept art and anatomical considerations. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong with the sculpt before but now it is obvious that the head proportions were all wrong! I am trying to work in a cheeky, friendly expression to the face without it appearing too cartoonish, and this seems to be going well so far. I intent to add a lot of details like wrinkling; particularly around the mouth to hide the seam where the bottom jaw will hinge.




No comments:

Post a Comment